Wednesday 18 November 2015

Actor Taye Diggs says he takes offence when people refer to his son as black


The 44 year old actor who has a 6 year old son Walker Nathaniel Diggs, with former wife, actress and singer Idina Mendez (of Frozen) wrote a piece about race where he said he finds it offensive when people refer to his son as "black.". What he wrote below...
“The first book I wrote, Chocolate Me, was based on my experiences growing up a little chocolate boy in a predominantly white neighborhood, and how I would get made fun of, and how through my mother and father and my own recognition, I was able to develop the power of self love,”
“My new book [Mixed Me] is kind of along similar lines for my son, even though in this day and age he’s going to have less of an issue being mixed than I did. It’s a book of self love and self appreciation and knowing that you are special regardless of what people will say about you because people will always say stuff,"
Diggs then turned his focus to President Obama, whom is often described as the first black U.S. president when in fact he’s biracial. Diggs hopes that soon society will begin to identify Obama more often as mixed.
“As African Americans we were so quick to say 'okay he’s black he’s black,' and then there were the white people who were afraid to say he was biracial because who knows. . . It would be great if it didn’t matter and that people could call him mixed. We’re still choosing to make that decision, and that’s when I think you get into some dangerous waters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment