Saturday 19 December 2015

South Korean Presidential candidate apologizes to Nigerian


Kim Moo-Sung, who is the favorite to be South Korea’s next president has apologised after sparking a public uproar for jokingly likening the skin color of a Nigerian student to coal. He issued the apology via his Facebook page yesterday.

In the post, he said:

“I failed to realize that showing friendliness this way could hurt someone’s feelings. I am really sorry and there is no excuse. I sincerely apologize from the bottom of my heart.” .

He cracked the joke on Friday while delivering coal briquettes to the needy in Seoul alongside a group of foreign exchange students. While laughing, Kim said to Babalola Joushua Adekunle: “Your face color is the same as the briquettes’ color.”

While reacting to the joke, Babalola Joushua Adekunle, attending a university on a South Korean government scholarship, said: “I don’t give any special meaning to it. He said it jokingly. He was laughing. Personally I’m a black man. It’s nothing that I am ashamed of.”

No comments:

Post a Comment